Northern itinerary : meet with pelagics
Let's go !
Day 1 Friday
Arrival at Port Sudan's International Airport.
25 min bus ride to go to the marina.
Document checking (diving card, logbook, insurance etc.)
Payment of marine taxes and visa.
Installation of your diving equipment.
Small briefing about life on board and safety instructions.
Day 2 Saturday
The ship will depart from the marina during the night and will sail for six hours to reach the first dive site of the week.
Wake-up call at about 8:00am. Hot drinks and biscuits will be available. Your guide will introduce the crew. Then you will have your first briefing for the “check” dive on a site called Sha'ab Swedi. The guides will tell you everything you need to know about the diving safety instructions and environmental protection.
A breakfast will be served after the dive as you will sail north for three hours to the second dive site of the day.
Second (and last) dive of the day on Merlo's reef.
After the second dive the boat will sail to Sha'ab Baher where you will spend a quiet and peaceful night, moored behind a big reef. Before dinner, the guide will give you a presentation on the sharks of the Red Sea.
Day 3 Sunday
Three dives are on the menu with very short sailing times between the sites.
Wake up at 6:00 am for the first dive on a site called Angarosh. After a good breakfast and a quick nap, your guide will give you a briefing for the second dive on the dive site of Albington. The third dive will take place at about 3:00pm on Merlo's reef. Then we will go back to Sha'ab Baher to spend the night there.
Day 4 Monday
On that day we will start going down to the very famous dive site of Sha'ab Rumi. After a first dive chosen by your guides, the boat will sail for 1h30 to Quita El Banna and its steep drop-offs. It will then sail for another 4h30 to reach Sha'ab Rumi and moor there. The last dive of the day will take place among the vestiges of Cousteau's Pre-Continent 2 expedition.
Day 5 Tuesday
The first two dives will be on Sha'ab Rumi's southern reef-flat where you will encounter all the species the Sudanese waters are famous for. A night dive on Pre-Continent 2 will be proposed.
Day 6 Wednesday
It is not uncommon to do the first dive of the day on Sha'ab Rumi's southern reef-flat
Then the Nemo will leave the site and sail for 1h30 to reach Sanganeb Marine Park and dive on the northern part of the reef. Between the dives you will have the opportunity to visit the 50m-high lighthouse and admire the panoramic view. The last dive of the day will take place on the southern reef-flat.
You will then sail one last time towards Windgate Reef where you will spend the night and enjoy a Sudanese party.
Day 7 Thursday
For this last day at sea, two dives on the famous shipwreck of the Umbria will be on the menu.
After the last dive, you will rinse your diving equipment and go back to the marina.
Day 8 Friday
A visit of Port-Sudan in a traditional tuk-tuk (typical motor taxi) will be proposed (no obligation, of course) : 30€/tuk-tuk (3 passengers).
Divers who do not wish to do the visit can stay on board but will have to vacate their cabin for the cleaning of the boat.
Bus transfer to the airport.
Dates & prices
Departures for French-speaking groups:
|From||To||Price / pers.||Boat||Places||Options||Booking|
|€1,050||DUNE - NEMO||0 / 22||Fully booked|
|€1,050||DUNE - NEMO||20 / 22||2||Book now!|
Departures for English-speaking groups:
No departure for now
Trip code: 279
- Reception at the airport, transfers airport/boat/airport.
- The liveaboard safari starts with the dinner, on the eve of the safari departure, and ends the day following our return to the marina after breakfast.
- 1 week liveaboard safari : 8days / 7 nights aboard in a twin share cabin (possibility of a single cabin with additional fees), full board (including tea, instant coffee, water and soft drinks
- Package of 16 dives including 12L tanks (DIN/International), weights (belt not included)
- Free Nitrox
- International flights
- Cancelation and rapatriation insurances
Payable on site :
- Governmental taxes (187€ for 7nights, payable upon arrival). Make sure to have the exact amount. To be payed on board.
- Visas ($155). Make sure to have the exact amount. Payable upon arrival at the airport.
- International flights
- Cancelation and rapatriation insurances
- Tips for the crew (7€/guest/day recommended, to be given on site at the end of your stay). Tips are at the customer's discretion.
- Drinks such as : beers, wine, aperitifs
- Gear equipment for rent
- Dive courses and certification
- All the expenses before and after the provided services are the customer's responsibility (Day use, meals, hotel...)
- Excursions, tour in a traditional tuk-tuk (typical motor taxi) : 10€/guest (3 passengers/tuk-tuk). Available according to return flight's departure time.
To be booked before departure:
- Cabin choice : 40€ / person
- Travel light (BCD, regulator, wetsuit, weight belt, computer NOT included) : 70€ / person / week.
- 15l tank : 40€
- Nitrox course + PADI kit : 130€(certification : 40€ to be paid on site)
- CMAS Nitrox course (2 dives) : 120€(certification : 40€ to be paid on site)
- FFESSM Advanced Nitrox diver (4 dives) : 240€ (certification : 40€ to be paid on site + FFESSM Membership card)
Terms and conditions
- A minimum 30% deposit will be required from the client for the booking to be confirmed (for individuals and groups).
- Balance payment due 30 days before departure for individuals, 60 days for a group booking.
Cancellation conditions for individual bookings
- Cancellation from 60 to 31 days before the date of departure: 30% of the total amount of the liveaboard.
- Cancellation from 30 to 15 days before the date of departure: 50% of the total amount of the liveaboard.
- Cancellation 14 days or less before the date of departure: 100% of the total amount of the liveaboard.
Cancellation conditions for group bookings (from 8 people) and full charter
- Cancellation from 90to 61 days before the date of departure: 30% of the total amount of the liveaboard.
- Cancellation from 60 to 31 days before the date of departure: 50% of the total amount of the liveaboard.
- Cancellation 30 days or less before the date of departure: 100% of the total amount of the liveaboard.
Liveaboard safari cancellation and case of Force Majeure
- Dune reserves the right to cancel a liveaboard in a case of Force Majeure such as natural hazard, epidemic, war, strike, riot, etc.
- Dune will not be held responsible for any event such as physical injuries, death or material destruction induced by war acts, insurrections, military operations, revolutions or exceptional weather and earthquake hazards that would occur beyond DUNE's control.
- Any unpredictable, insurmountable or out of Dune's control event will be considered as a case of Force Majeure.
- Should any event described above ever happen, the customer will be notified as soon as possible.
- Should the liveaboard safari be canceled or shortened due to natural hazard, war or Governmental decision, no indemnity will be granted. (Likewise with anything that could prevent the customer to benefit from any services.)
- Roads, airports, train stations, marinas shutdowns and train/boat/flight cancellations induced by transporters and administrations will not be Dune's responsibility, therefore will not give rise to any indemnity.
At the airport
Budget & exchange
Recommendations and legislation on recreational diving in Sudan
- Sudanese legislation limits recreational diving to a depth of 40 meters (without decompression stop)
- Medical certificate allowing the practice of scuba-diving (mandatory document, must be less than a year old)
- Dive cards, and diving logbook justifying the level and number of dives
- Dive computer, SMB, and a surface detection aid (visual and/or acoustic), a hook.